For Your Patients
Since 1991, Project Angel Heart has helped to improve the health and well-being of Coloradans with life-threatening diagnoses by preparing and delivering medically tailored meals to their homes. Our meals are proven to reduce hospital readmissions, reduce total monthly medical costs, and improve quality of life for meal recipients.
- Learn more about how good nutrition can support your patients
- Find out if your patients live within our service area
- Check current application processing time for service and find out if your patient is eligible to receive meals more quickly based on your diagnosis and/or location.
- See other frequently asked questions
- Obtenga más información sobre nuestro programa de comidas en español.
Is My Patient Eligible To Receive Meals?
Our meals are available for people living with a severe illness. To be eligible, your patient must:
- Have a current diagnosis of a severe illness such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, end stage renal disease, CHF, multiple sclerosis, high-risk pregnancy, dementia or other such illness.
- Live within our delivery area. Eligible clients living outside the delivery area may pick up meals at Project Angel Heart or set up delivery to a person living within the boundaries. People in rural areas may be eligible to receive meal shipments if covered by a contract with a health care partner.
- Age and/or income are not qualifying factors.
To determine if your patient is eligible, please submit a completed, signed application form.
If you have questions about eligibility or wait times, please call a member of our client services team at 303.830.0202, select option 1, then option 2, or 800.381.5612.
How to Apply For Meals For Your Patient
For NEW Clients – Complete and submit a New Client Application form securely online or download an application (contact us if you are unable to download the form)
For EXISTING Clients Recertifying or Resuming Services – Complete and submit a Health Status Update form securely online or download the form
If you are not using the secure online application form, return the completed application using one of these methods:
- Upload completed application form here (this option coming soon)
- Send an encrypted email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to our confidential line at 303.865.7002 or 303.830.1840
- Mail to: Project Angel Heart, Attn: Client Services, 4950 Washington Street, Denver, CO 80216
A client services team member is available if you wish to check the status of the application or verify the application was received.
MEET SCOTTY, A PROJECT ANGEL HEART CLENT
Scotty, who was diagnosed with leukemia, received Project Angel Heart meals while undergoing treatment and recovering from a bone marrow transplant. The meals helped the former pirate treasure hunter, who was part of the crew that discovered the only fully authenticated pirate shipwreck ever recovered, stay strong and positve. “You guys send meals with all the nutrients,” said Scotty. “That’s been a great help, to help keep my body fit. Your body needs more than just pills.”
Information for Existing Clients
Project Angel Heart Snow Policy
If weather conditions make delivery difficult or dangerous for our volunteer drivers, your meals may be late. In very extreme weather conditions, we may reschedule meal delivery for a different day.
If you think the weather may impact your delivery, please call 303-830-0202 or 800-381-5612. A staff member will update you on the status of deliveries. If no staff member is available, our voicemail message will let you know if deliveries have been canceled and when you can expect your next delivery.
How to Store Bread
If you receive bread with your delivery, please store it in the refrigerator. Use bread within 5 days of delivery to avoid mold. If you receive moldy bread in your delivery, please call the client services team at 303.830.0202, select option 1, then option 2, or toll-free at 800.381.5612.
How to Reheat Meals
Microwave: Puncture film cover over both compartments. Heat meal on high for 2-3 minutes, stir, remove vegetables, and then heat for an additional 2-3 minutes, until hot (meals are fully cooked).
Oven: Preheat oven to 350°. Puncture film cover over both compartments. Place meal on baking sheet and place baking sheet in oven for 25-30 minutes or until hot. Do not heat meals in a toaster oven.
Tips For Best Results:
- Before reheating your meal, defrost it by taking the meal out of the freezer and putting it in the refrigerator overnight. Some clients find the food tastes best when defrosted for a full 24 hours before reheating. If thawed, your meal may reheat faster. Reheat a thawed meal for 2 minutes and then at 30-second intervals until fully reheated.
- The meal reheats best when heated on a plate or in a separate container.
Please put frozen meals into the freezer as soon as possible. If a frozen meal has thawed before you put it in the freezer, do not eat it. This is especially important in the warmer months when food might spoil easily. It is important that you follow food safety guidelines in order to prevent sickness.