About the Meals
Our professional chefs and nutrition teams prepare tasty, medically tailored meals from scratch. Incorporating a wide array of culinary traditions and cultures, they create meals that feature fresh, high-quality ingredients–including vegetables and herbs from our own garden and local community farms.
A Diverse Menu
The menu is different every week, and includes dishes like:
- Beef bolognese with whole grain penne pasta
- Baked fish with mustard garlic sauce and whole wheat couscous
- Roasted chicken with chipotle red pepper sauce and brown rice
- Vegetable gumbo with red beans
- Pork and vegetable stir fry with brown rice
- Red pepper chicken stew with barley pilaf
- Breakfast tacos with green chile sauce and corn tortillas
Each week, we provide seven nutritious entrees, bread, fruit, and milk. The entrees are delivered frozen so that clients have the flexibility to reheat meals whenever they’d like to enjoy them. Some clients may also qualify for a breakfast bag containing a week’s worth of nutritious breakfast foods.
Our Specialty Diets
We believe that food is medicine, and that medically appropriate meals can lead to better health and well-being. So we also tailor meals to meet specific medical and dietary needs. This includes most food allergies* and religious beliefs.
Most of our meals are diabetes-friendly, excluding the vegetarian diet, and we tailor meals according to five main diets:
Designed for people living with end stage renal disease/kidney issues, but also appropriate for people living with diabetes. The meals are low in potassium, phosphorous, and sodium, and they contain no soy or added sugar.
Helpful for people with common allergies or food intolerances. The meals do not include dairy or eggs.
Suitable for people experiencing taste changes, nausea, chemo mouth, or mouth sores. There are no strong flavors or spices (like ginger, wine, herbs, onions, dairy, coconut, cabbage, or garlic).
All meals contain a plant-based protein like tofu, beans, eggs, tempeh, dairy, seitan, etc.
May be helpful for people living with heart issues, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and diabetes. Meals have limited sodium/salt, contain no added sugar, and are lower in saturated fat.
In addition to the specialty diets above, we can also “add on” any of the following modifications:
- Texture Modifications. Food is fork-tender or cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Eliminations. Based on medical necessity and/or religious preference, we can eliminate items like gluten, pork, beef, bread, and dessert.
- Gastrointestinal, for those with GI problems. No legumes, dark/leafy greens, cauliflower, broccoli, corn, peas, or cabbage. Also appropriate for people on blood-thinning medication.
*Please note that our kitchen is not an allergen-free environment while we do our best to accommodate dietary needs. Food prepared in our kitchen may come into contact with wheat or other gluten-containing ingredients, milk, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, and fish. This is especially important to be aware of if you have a severe or life-threatening food allergy.