This is one of Chef Brett’s go-to fall/winter salads. While it may not be a Caesar in the traditional sense, we think it’s better! Registered Dietitian Astrid shares that this salad is jam-packed with immune boosting ingredients, perfect to support our bodies during cooler moths and flu/cold season. What’s more, the kale and Brussels sprouts contain high levels of vitamin C, A, E, K, as well as folate, calcium, iron, potassium and phosphorus. These veggies are also rich in fiber and are some of the only vegetables (and fruits) that contain glucosinolates, which can help to lower inflammation and reduce the risk of developing cancer.
Butternut Caesar Salad
Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced in 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 can (14 ounces) chickpeas, drained
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 4-5 cups kale, chopped (I prefer curly or lacinato)
- 3 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1-2 lemons
- 1 cup roasted pistachios (roasted cashews or pumpkin seeds work too)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/3 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt and pepper to taste
Toss the butternut squash in a large mixing bowl with a few tablespoons of olive oil, oregano, kosher salt and cracked pepper.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Spread seasoned butternut squash in an even layer on a sheet pan and roast for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
While squash is roasting, combine kale and Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Add lemon juice and some olive oil to coat. Massage the greens to coat and encourage wilting.
Spread chickpeas evenly on a sheet pan or large oven safe skillet. Roast for approximately 10-15 minutes or until chickpeas are crispy.
Combine all dressing ingredients in mini food processor or blender. Blend until dressing is emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add the hot/warm butternut squash, chickpeas, feta cheese and dressing to the kale and Brussels sprouts. Mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with roasted pistachios and serve!