This kid-approved dish is a nice, easy pick for nights when you don’t know what to cook. Enjoy!
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 2 onions, julienne
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 cans (small) green chilies, mild
- 6 ears corn, cut off the cob
- 1 can (15 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 1 pound red potatoes, washed and cubed
- 3 tablespoons beef base (such as “Better than Bouillion”)
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 tablespoon coriander, ground
- 1 tablespoon paprika, ground
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
Place a stockpot large enough to cook the stew in on the stove and turn heat to medium high. Once hot, add the canola oil and start to brown the beef.
Once the beef is broken up and slightly browned, add the salt, pepper, and dried spices.
When the spices are incorporated, add the onions, garlic, green chilies, corn, and tomatoes to the pot. Then add the beef base and fill the pot with enough water to cover the vegetables and beef.
Bring the stew to a boil, let simmer for 30 minutes, then add the cubed potatoes. If the liquid has reduced and is too thick, add a little more water with the potatoes.
Bring the stew back to a boil and let simmer another 30-40 minutes, until the potatoes are nice and soft.
Top with the cheese, sour cream, and scallions and enjoy!