Jon Emanuel, Executive Chef of Project Angel Heart
We are proud to work with many great community gardens, CSAs, and home growers to provide produce grown with love and care for our clients. Here is a recipe that we make for our clients using produce sourced from these amazing growers. It was originally conceived by our amazing Sous Chef, Summer Polson. Enjoy!
Red Flannel Roasted Vegetables
- 1 medium red beet, peeled and diced (or a few baby beets, trimmed and halved)
- 1 medium yellow and/or Chioggia beet, peeled and diced (or a few baby beets, trimmed and halved)
- 1 medium turnip, diced (or a few baby turnips, trimmed and halved)
- 1 yellow potato, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place all of the vegetables except the red beets in a bowl. Place the red beets in a separate, smaller bowl. (The red beets are cooked separately from the other vegetables so they don’t turn everything pink.) Add most of the olive oil to the large bowl and the rest to the small bowl. Stir each bowl to coat the vegetables. Season each with salt and pepper and stir again.
- In a greased medium skillet or small sheet pan add the large bowl of vegetables and spread them out. Do the same with the red beets in a separate, smaller skillet or pan.
- Roast until tender and crisped, stirring every few minutes, about 25-35 minutes total, depending on the size of the vegetables. When ready to serve, combine the red beets with the rest of the vegetables and gently combine.
- These vegetables go great with lots of things- alongside roasted chicken, with a dollop of pesto, with a fried egg, or on their own!