Jon Emanuel, Executive Chef of Project Angel Heart
Rich with Mediterranean flavors, this date marmalade is perfect with lots of different meats: pork, chicken, turkey, and especially lamb.
- 2 T Olive oil
- 1/4 C Red onion, julienne very thin
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp Coriander, ground
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ginger, grated
- 2 C Fresh dates (or 1½ C dried), pitted
- 1 T Fresh orange peel, grated
- 1 C Apple juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dry mint
- Heat a medium sauce pan over medium heat until hot. Add the oil and allow to heat. Add the onion, garlic, cumin and coriander to the pan and sauté until spices are toasted and fragrant.
- Add the ginger, dates and orange peel and stir to combine. Add the apple juice and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the salt and pepper.
- Allow to cook, stirring frequently and mashing with a potato masher as needed, until juice is reduced and the mixture becomes sticky and a little pasty.
- Remove from heat, stir in the mint and allow to cool. Serve on your favorite meat!