Hannah, our new Volunteer Resources Assistant, loves barbecue- but she can’t eat ribs without cornbread. This recipe, which her family has been making for as long as she can remember, is her favorite because the cornbread comes out so flavorful and moist. With a little bit of honey, it also makes a tasty breakfast or dessert!
By Hannah Koschnitzke, Volunteer Resources Assistant
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 14.5oz can creamed corn
- 1 cup Mexican Blend cheese (or any combination of Monterrey jack and cheddar cheeses)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs, creamed corn, and cheese, mixing after each addition.
- Gently add dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Pour or scoop cornbread batter into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake cornbread for one hour, until top is golden brown.